Friday, May 30, 2008

BookExpo America: Day 1

Originally posted HERE

BookExpo America: Day 1. I'm at booth 5741 in the Authors Row. The person right next to me is the voice talent for most of the characters of South Park (hard to believe that such fowl language is coming out of such a pretty girl).

It's been a very interesting day. A publisher from India said that he'd like to publish my book and will call me when he gets back to India (in about 3 weeks). There's no telling if this will actually happen or not, but he did give me his card and told me to call him if he hasn't called me by June 23rd. That's encouraging. What's funny is that he wasn't even going to stop at my booth until I got his attention. He started out very wary and didn't even want to take an audio CD. Then he relented and took a CD. Then he took my business card. As our conversation progressed, he asked me to mail him my book because he didn't want to lug it back to India, but by the end of the conversation, he asked for a copy right then and said he'd like to publish it in perhaps a 5 to 10,000 print run. How funny that 10 minutes before this, he wasn't even going to talk to me. It pays to open your mouth. Again, no contracts have been signed yet. He hasn't even read it yet! But I'm crossing my fingers. I still have publishers and agents in Croatia, Serbia, and Korea looking at my book, so I have a lot of fingers to cross.

Today, movie producers, agents, and publishers all came to my booth and spoke with me. It's a lot of fun, but I'm all alone (the person who was going to go with me bailed), so I can't visit any of the other booths! I might abandon my booth for a few minutes to visit TOR or Scholastic. I'm hoping that some more publishers and agents will speak to me. None of the U.S. ones I spoke with publish my type of book. Rights buyers tend to be very unapproachable as they walk by, but they're very easy to spot because they have orange tags and they are the only people in the convention center not carrying around a load of books.

I gave away about 150 books today, so hopefully, something good will come of that. It was nice to get the occasional comment, "Oh, I just bought your book last week," or "Oh, I've seen your video trailer on youtube." I was surprised at how many people recognized my back drop or remembered me from the L.A. Times Festival of Books. A handful of people have really been keeping track of my book and life. It was nice to meet them in person. I'm hopeful for tomorrow.

No comments: