Friday, January 04, 2008

My Woe-is-Me Attitude Comes Out

Originally posted HERE

I am going through so many stressful things right now, I honestly have a fear that I’ll have a panic attack. I lost $27,000 last month on lucky number nine. Just kidding.... about the "lucky number nine" part (I've never gambled before), not the losing $27 G's. So this month didn't start out too great. My baby who had heart surgery will be on a separate insurance policy next month, which will end up costing more than my house payment. But enough about money issues (I'll be okay financially... especially if people keep buying Paraworld Zero.).

My biggest stress right now is the fact that bookstores are telling me that they're having a hard time ordering my book from the distributors (i.e. Ingram, Baker & Taylor, etc.) because their computer systems (i.e. Books in Print) is showing Paraworld Zero as "unavailable" or "not yet published." Aaaah! Paraworld Zero has been published! I repeat... IT HAS BEEN PUBLISHED! There's a mistake in the computer systems somewhere. So right now, the only option is for bookstores to back order, pre-order or order directly from Windstorm Creative. I know of at least 3 bookstores who have ordered about 75 copies each from my publisher, but that's only because they were willing to go the extra mile to carry my book. What about all the other stores? I'm getting an ulcer just writing this. Hopefully this will get fixed pronto.

My publicist emailed me today to say that she's already scheduled 17 radio interviews next week and some of them are national. A 48-ft billboard is going up on Jan 12th in Utah and tons of ads will commence after that. One of them will be in The New York Times (4 million readers). Thank heavens for online stores like Amazon.com and BN.com. At least people can order Paraworld Zero online. It was ranked #542 at bn.com and #9 in the "Magic and Wizards" category of Amazon.com the first day it came out. Not a bad start.

Boy, wouldn't it be nice if a large publisher came in right now and bought the hard back rights for my book? They could piggyback on all of the promotions that are going on for the Trade Paperback edition. Perhaps I’ll see if I could solicit that somehow. They’d have to act awfully fast. I hear foreign publishers are much more responsive than U.S. publishers. Oh, woe-is-me! Everything will turn out okay. I just need to have faith that it will all turn out okay. I'm clicking my heels right now and saying "there's no place like home... there's no place like home..."

No comments: